SL Project day2
I went kind of early. I arrived during Ms. Caron's free period and felt out of place just because she like did not have anything for me to do or like we were sort of talking, but not really conversing. However, I did get another classroom. I saw the room tag and was immediately interested and then Ms. Caron mentioned it then I was like sounds interesting so during her lunch, I went to talk to him and he immediately said that I could and that if ever I needed anything to not be afraid to ask. He gave me the class criteria and a rubric and a copy of the quiz he was giving his class. This second class is an Algebra I class. In this class, I felt more useful. I was able to help students out when they had questions whereas the geometry class rarely was I able to help. The geometry students are older and wiser I guess so there were very few students that needed help. In Mr. Elias class, there were several students that were pointed out as learners at a slow rate and these kids were not afraid to ask questions. My co-workers asked me why recently I have been very cheery and I just answered, "I found my motivation again!" I had lost it for a while so I was lost. It was much easier this time because I did not have to fly overseas to find the motivation I had first found when I was in Cambodia. I walked into the classrooms and looked at the students faces and I was like, “Wow! I did not make the wrong decision in choosing a career.” I know here will be bad days, but I am sure there are more good days than bad. As Mr. Elias (Algebra I teacher) was pointing out the students that needed help most, I looked at their faces and I just felt this feeling that cannot be described in words. Except for the few kids that kept whistling and making hand gestures telling me to call them and the constant looking at my body parts, I just love the school environment. School is where I belong. I always had a passion for school and these kids reminded me why I wanted to be a teacher in the first place. The vice principal that set me up in Ms. Caron’s class was busy meeting a parent so I did not see him. I did stop in to say hi and bye to the secretary ladies. I cannot wait to go back next week! I was there for two periods, which is a little less than two hours, but those two hours might have been the best two hours I spent in school this semester! It was funny how both classes had a quiz that day. In Ms. Caron’s class, the kids forgot that I was there like a second set of eyes and ears for Ms. Caron, they were whispering questions and answers, and I went to the table and cleared my throat and then the realized that I had some authority. Mr. Elias students were being helped by three adult figures. There was the teacher, a resource teacher and last but not least me… So we were walking and one girl raised her hand and Mr. Elias sort of waited for me to go to her and so I did and she asked me for the answer and I am looked at her and her answer to a prior question and I am like, “Hun, pay attention to the signs.” Then she put a negative sign in front of her wrong answer. It was so funny how she did not even notice her mistake. I did not blame her though because she was one of the students that were pointed out. So I asked her what a positive plus a negative comes out to. I told her to write it out which number, positive or negative is bigger. Then she finally got it. At that point, I did not realize he had made up different quizzes so when I went to help out another student I looked again I was like, “Oh snap! I just gave the girl the wrong answer!” So I went back to apologize and she just laughed and said that she does not mind. I felt so bad!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment