*~Mz_Rasni*~ I Love You Gramma!!! You are going to be missed!!!

Talking Points #4

Title:
“Unlearning the myths that binds us”
Author:
Christensen and Karp
Author’s Argument:
In this article, I think Christensen is arguing that the cartoons that kids grow- up with and learn to love is give false information and misleading to the young minds. Christen also believe that this type of influence is bad for the children and the start of expectations that are not met.

Quote#1
-“The "secret education," as Chilean writer Ariel Dorfman dubs it, delivered by children's books and movies, instructs young people to accept the world as it is portrayed in these social blueprints.”
This quote is saying that children are learning about life through “children’s books and movies”, however I think otherwise. Just like the movie It’s Elementary”, young minds do not think much of situations like adults think they do. Children jus watch on and follow the story line. If no one mentions it, then the kids would not have noticed that all the princesses happen to be white and all the poor people happens to be black. So I definitely disagree with this comment.

Quote#2
-“Happiness means getting a man, and transformation from wretched conditions can be achieved through consumption -in their case, through new clothes and a new hairstyle.”
Again, I feel like sometimes people try so hard to look beyond what is really there and just start to assume things. Yes, kids try to look for the happily ever after, but after a certain age,, they grow out of that and realizes that a cartoon is not realistic. And by Christensen saying that “happily ever after” does not exist, that is sort of depressing because she sort of just shut down all hopes for kids living the princess life. I just have to say that there is such a thing as “happily ever after” and just because she has not found it yet does not mean she should tell other people that it does not exist.

Quote#3
-“But more importantly, students saw themselves as actors in the world. They were fueled by the opportunity to convince some parents of the long-lasting effects cartoons impose on 'their children, or to enlighten their peers about the roots of some of their insecurities. Instead of leaving students full of bile, standing around with their hands on their hips, shaking their heads about how bad the world is, I provided them the opportunity to make a difference.”
She keeps going! Does she really think she is giving them an “opportunity to make a difference” by pointing out that in children’s most favorite shows, there is racism and prejudice? What I think she is doing as an adolescent is beyond, excuse my language, stupid! All she is doing is making the children aware of it all. And after that, they will start to look for all the bias in society. They will start the new generation of hate towards white people because she said that cartoons favor white people so of course these children are going to look at white people and say, “You stole all my opportunity in life!”
Comments:
I think what she is trying to prove is wrong. I think she did the opposite of her intentions. If she just left it as is then these kids would have still modeled after the cartoons until they realize on their own time that turtles that speak and fight are not realistic. They will see that being bitten by a spider will not turn him or her into Spiderman or Spiderwoman… I think she should just get a life. Take me for example, I did not know about racism until I came to RIC. True, I learned about slavery and what not, but that did not hit me as racism. I understood it was whites hating black people for some reason I still do not understand, but I did not see society today like that. Then when I came to RIC, professors and some students started to mention that racism is happening to them. Why do I not see it? Maybe just maybe these students are looking beyond what the professor is trying to say and due to bias, just make the professor look bad by saying he or she was being racist.

No comments:

Post a Comment